Since last few days I am using Macbook with Mac OS X 10.6.3. Here I tried to share my short time user experience focused on usability and features rather than look and feel. I hope experienced apple eaters wont mind on my pre-mature review and fell free to suggest me conceptual remarks.
Features that I like most:
- Process management is awesome.
- Faster Data transfer than other platforms with same configuration hardware.
- Spotlight- i’m lovin’ it.
- Inter application connectivity among default mac applications.
- Applications are applications; not seen to become as os feature after install, you know what I mean😉.
- Found pure flavor of multitasking there.
- Terminal using UNIX commands, a plus for penguin lovers.
- Hitting screen corners with mouse to get all the windows, desktop etc. and it works enough smooth.
- Application installation procedure is too smart crashing any dependency.
- Dedicated eject button
- Common preference command ⌘, for any application.
- Disk utility is nice.
- Seems the track pad knows how much I want to scroll. Multi touch trac pad is awesome
- Three-pane-view finder is good.(but i will keep nautilus on top)
- Power management is awesome.
Things I am frustrated with:
- Built-in mail client is too lazy to sent mail immediate after hitting send button.
- Delete button doesn’t behave well at FireFox.
- Hitting enter on a selected folder suppose to open that folder instead of opening the folder rename. I will say pressing command buttons to open a folder is over smartness.
- Cut-paste missing😦
- Have to watch the eaten apple all the time at the top left corner.
- X is much larger in size and so the updates are.
- Requires huge horse power to run OSX (ah! Linux is the lightest thing you ever install in your computer)
- Isn’t the price of hw/accessories too high?
- Creating a desktop short cut from anywhere in the mac is much frustrating.
- Viewing hidden file in mac osx is much frustrating.
- If I use an external drive and delete some files from there then mac keeps the deleted items in the trash folder inside that drive occupying more space instead of permanently deleting the file. I should call it an un-smart act of mac. even they don’t have permanently deletion feature.
What I am missing here:
- Though Mac provides advanced screenshot functionality but still missing my old button
- Missing a good built-in text editor, wish Textmate may built in with mac os x😛
- Missing remote desktop connection GUI utility.
- VGA port… must be a bad joke from steve job (dude you are selling the port separate shamelessly! )
- Missing permanent file, folder deletion system from keyboard
I must quote a mac users’s comment here: “OSX is based on FreeBSD – they took a free operating system and customized it (Darwin) and then called it their own and charge a huge premium (allowed by BSD)”. I would say it’s alright but can anybody speak to steve that for this single reason apple should give the facility to existing leopard users to upgrade to lion free of cost😉
Overall my impression on mac is “much impressive performer”. Still I would like to spend extra bucks for apple thingy.