Here at BD, Scrum Master certification training is not available and the number of Scrum practitioner company is very limited. However, as an Scrum practitioner over years, I decided to complete the certification and at the same time I had some tour plans going on at the neighbor countries :). I knew that the certification requires 16 hours or 2 days training prior to the online exam with Scrum Alliance (SA), so I was planning to make it in some place at India from where I can easily fly for my desired tourist destinations, obviously it is New Delhi. The SA course finder helped me to find CSM trainings that going to be held within New Delhi.
I have registered to my desired CSM course at SA website and was unable to pay online due to their local payment system at suggested event site allows only cards with Indian Currency (INR). I had contacted with their designated person regarding the fee and they happily allowed me to deposit the fee at the venue. The course has been organized by Unicom and the trainer was Andreas Wintersteiger, (I call him!) the mastermind agile coach. I had gone through other trainers profile at SA website and found him the suitable person to get trained by.
What you need to do to come so far?
– Apply for the VISA of the country you wanted to do your course, in my case it was India.
– After VISA confirmation, use SA course finder to find CSM trainings and register yourself there, make your flight schedule accordingly, atleast reach a day before your class and I believe you can manage your hotel by Goggling.
– CSM course fee varies among providers and might be around 410USD (approx), the fee includes online exam and 2 years SA membership, you will find the course fee along with the training details at SA website. There are early birds discounts as well in most of the training packages.
– The trainer aka. Certified Scrum Coach/Trainer (CSC/CST) shall conduct the course and enroll you for the exam. The enrollment for the exam should be within 90 days from the course taken, in my case it was the second week (meanwhile I was in home ), my trainer registered me at SA for exam. The trainer will provide you with all sort of exam details and pre-exam study materials, no worries 🙂
– Once you login to SA you will have the exam ready to start, you have two chances within 90 days from the course completion date, but no one needs the second chance here. Trust me, the exam is just a formality and the certification is 35 MCQ questions away. I had 34 out of 35 questions corrected and passed with 97.14%, checkout my score:
– Exam MCQ questions are very very simple and apply your commons sense type i.e. What is the role of Scrum Master (check one), Who estimates stories etc. You will be given more than sufficient time to complete the exam.
– The CSM Exam is online, can be given from home in pajamas 🙂
The certification from Scrum Alliance (SA) should add good values into anyone’s profile.
– Last, but not the least, practicing Scrum earlier in real life should be a BIG plus for you to understand the whole picture.
One thing, learning something and getting certification are different things. Actually, you don’t need certification to use & adopt Scrum and get benefited from it. Good luck with your CSM 🙂